Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hello from India,
I have been a Microsoft lover all my corporate life.!!
Just 8 years ago, my son, then 10, introduced me to Ubuntu Desktop and few linux commands… And helping him learn, made me grow as an open-source techie.
Currently, trying to keep pace in fast changing tech world and work as free-lancer CyberSec Consultant.

Nonetheless, I am happy to connect with everyone here and offer my 2 cents to discussions hereon.!!

Regards
Kinshuk Joshii
CyberSec Consultant

1 Like

First a shoutout to my fellow ZX81/Timex Sinclair 1000 peeps! Still remember typing in the code for a Frogger-like game and saving that to tape so I didn’t have to type it all in again.

Been at it since 6th grade, but really didn’t get back into tech until college when I took a couple semesters of C/C++. Been using my English major skills in IT for over twenty years now.

Started with comercial LaserJet support, technical writing, project managing the technical writing, and eventually went back to the support world and now find myself trying to tame the beast of Splunk and all things logging and monitoring.

Looking to build out a home lab so I can work on my packet capture/analysis skills. Glad to be hear :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome @CrustyB :handshake:

I had to Google search ZX81/Timex Sinclair 1000 :grinning:

I’m mid 40’s, but I had never heard of those. Would have been still drinking from a sippy cup when they launched. hahaha!

It’s great to have you here! I know a couple of members who probably remember ZX81/Timex Sinclair 1000

2 Likes

Hello. They gave me the handle Tex when I worked a job which involved communication via radio in extremely loud environments. The name stuck with me. Sometimes I pretend it is actually Techs. Alright. Incredibly boring. I’m 40 years old, married for 11 years with a 6 year old daughter. I loved computers in my youth, and up until my early 20s. However, I kind of gave up and haven’t owned a computer in over a decade. I recently bought a gaming laptop and got sucked right back into the hobby. I currently have a 6 node Raspberry Pi CM4 (6xCM4108000) cluster, am working on getting a 5x SOQuartz64 8GB 5x 4GB cluster (I cannot get these dang things to boot! What am I missing?!? a few misc boards and my favoroite my Dell PowerEdge 720 running ESXi.

So Yeah. I don’t know why I am joining here as I am incredibly anti-social (lets face it, i’m actually just shy) and I worry I wont make friends. I hope I’m wrong.

I also enjoy working with microcontrollers (ESP32, 8266, arduino, AdaFruit etc) and Python.

Lately I’ve been tinkering with these cloud thingies. Docker, Azure, AWS? Crazy stuff!! So fun so interesting!!! I’m loving everything I learn!

So there ya go. Thats me! Glad to be here. Thank for having me.

2 Likes

Hi @tehtex Welcome to our tech community.

Gaming laptop eh? For this holiday I’m going to build a gaming PC. @43 yrs old, I’m told my competitive reflexes don’t have much time left :joy:.

1 Like

Hi.

My name is Ken.

My setup is two Dell 5755 laptops running Ubuntu 22.04.

I am usually testing various Linux platforms under Virtualbox.

I am a retired System Administrator dealing with Unix since 1974.

Back in the day I also did some Cobol work.

Today I enjoy Shell scripting, bwbasic, psBASIC(JonFoster) and some Fortran.

Some of what I used/worked on is here:

My current project is to get Coherent running with all the bells and whistles.
Coherent is an old school OS.

I also tinker with Windows XP, 7 & 10.

I also read a great deal on the web.

3 Likes

Wow, Ken, that’s so cool. I started using Unix at university in 1989. When I was introduced to Unix and networking, I immediately knew where my career would go, and 33 years later I’m still here.

Hello, I am an enthusiat geek, l like to work with hardware products and tinker with things!

Hi, I’m Ray. Done some programming while I was at school but started working and only programmed in Basic until now. Nearly time to retire so I intend to get back into computer sciences again.

1 Like

Welcome to our tech community @Enoreth @Ray_B :handshake:

Hi Harry, you’re welcomed.
I remember with affection my first days on a PDP, loading the boot direction on console switches every time that power-up this systems, and my firsts Smith Cart graph with an HP-9000 Unix system.

Hello
Im steve, used to be a builder. Taken out with septic spinal infection. Cannot afford the tech
For my dream retirement company
So im seeing if i can ay least learn
Enough to get by.

Hi everyone!
I am a system administrator from Spain, my line of work is installing, managing linux server, virtualization with vmware and proxmox technologies and tinkering with computers especially if it runs with linux. This forum looks great.
Kind regards all!

2 Likes

Your Linux niche is where a lot of fun and satisfying hours can be had. Nice! It’s awesome to have you join us. :handshake:

I’m James. I program in threaded C on a raspberry Pi 4 with Linux, simulating mechanical hardware.
History of programming BASIC, Forth, Pascal, RTL2, Visual Basic, assembler on various processors and now C for speed.
Done a bit of hardware hacking/design on a few processors.
Started programming over 50 years ago on a teletype with an acoustic modem over a telephone line, and punched tape.

2 Likes

Hi, all. I’m totally new to homelabing. As in, I have 5 raspberry pis that I’ve used for research and robotics. I’m a 29-yr school teacher looking to change careers. I’ve purchased courses on Coursera and Udemy in preparation for a new career in cybersecurity but, in my opinion, I have no idea where to start. The courses are all information overload so I thought I’d start with a homelab to get my hands dirty and my feet wet in making practical sense of all the jargon. I’m looking for anyone who can give me a very beginner’s homework assignment.

Glad to be on board.

2 Likes

Welcome to the tech community guys! Feel free to post questions, answers, career talk, or whatever you would like to discuss with peers.

Hello everyone. New to IT and currently taking classes in Linux. Have worked as a Healthcare Professional most of my life but looking to switch into the exciting field of IT. Very passionate about learning all aspects of Computer Science and it’s application in today’s world. Would like to construct a home lab to practice CLI and virtual platforms. Any advice would be welcome as any other way to practice using Linux in an administrative function. Cheers! Live in the Atlanta area and would love to shadow an experienced Linux admin if possible.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums. It’s always a great time to start with Linux. I would say commands, commands, commands!

Use a distro daily even if it’s just projects so that you can make use of the commands.

Debian is great, if you like GUI first then Fedora or Ubuntu are good options. If you are using a windows PC, its a must to install WSL (windows subsystem for Linux)

Hope to see you around the forums. Check out https://www.linuxfoundation.org/

1 Like

Welcome to the forums James!