OpenRGB issues with mouse?

So I got a Redragon M602 Griffin specifically because I would be able to program the RGB lights and effects on Linux and for whatever reason, I cannot get it to work with OpenRBG. I thought maybe it was an issue with the program but it works fine with my RGB Razer mouse pad.

When scanning for the mouse (which it doesn’t recognize at all) I get the following error:

One or more I2C/SMBus interfaces failed to initialize.
RGB DRAM modules and some motherboards’ onboard RGB lighting will not be available without I2C/SMBus.
On Linux, this is usually because the i2c-dev module is not loaded. You must load the i2c-dev module along with the correct i2c driver for your motherboard. This is usually i2c-piix4 for AMD systems and i2c-i801 for Intel systems.

Any idea on how to fix this? I am lost. I tried everything I could think of.

Is your mouse functioning outside of this? I mean is the mouse usable without the customization options of the RGB function? I am going to assume this is the case as Linux should be able to detect it as a mouse regardless.

It seems to have been updated in November but still has issues with certain devices, of which I am not seeing yours listed. I am wondering if this update may have messed with it? I am not finding any other complaints. It might be worth contacting the dev team.

You can get some help here: https://help.openrgb.org/

1 Like

On Linux, this is usually because the i2c-dev module is not loaded. You must load the i2c-dev module along with the correct i2c driver for your motherboard. This is usually i2c-piix4 for AMD systems and i2c-i801 for Intel systems.

It is pretty much telling you there. I don’t think this is an OpenRGB issue or a Linux issue but rather a hardware one and since I am not very familiar with this kind of stuff, I am not sure what the approach would be.

1 Like

Are you using the flatpak version by chance?

I would try and run the appimage as root and see if that corrects the issue for you.

I have had this issue in the past myself when I was using and RGB mouse and that fixed it for me. I was not using the same mouse however but it is still worth a try.

1 Like

I did try running it at root and it did not work. I have tried anything and everything I could find online and still the mouse is not being detected. It is so annoying. I opened a support ticket with OpenRGB. Hopefully they have a solution for me. If so, I will report back and let you all know.

1 Like

If you are still waiting to hear back, look over this and see if it makes a difference for you:

I am going to guess if it continues not to work, it is a hardware issue within your PC and not an issue with the mouse itself, Linux, or OpenRGB. Either way, if they respond let us know what they said.

1 Like

I have an RGB Redragon mouse as well. It isn’t the same model but I could not get it to configure either. I ended up buying a new mouse but I will say that if you still have Windows loaded on your PC, you can launch into that and program it on Windows. It will stay at whatever you set it. At least mine did. I wish I thought to try this before I went and bought a new one.

1 Like

I have tried that @MadMatt but thanks for sharing it.

@Space_Cat I did not think to try this. I have a laptop with Windows. I will see if it stays at what I set it to. I have an RGB controller that does this so assuming the mouse has a built-in memory, it should.

I have not heard back from OpenRGB yet.

1 Like

Yeah, it appears to have a built in memory for this just like an RGB keyboard does. I have done the same with my keyboard as well.