Managing Media (Options on Linux)?

As I mentioned in another thread, I want to move away from Windows 10.

I need options for my programs, however. I need something for music and video, something for gaming, as well as other general programs most people use. I prefer open-source. What are some suggestions that I can find on Linux?

Well for editing, I would go with OBS. Gaming, Lutris seems to be the best bet which is what I have been using. If you want a music player then I would go with Clementine since it functions as an in-between with both Windows and Apple programs. For other things, you would have to be more specific.

OpenShot is another option that runs on Linux. Most open-source programs do at this point.

Do you have any programs you are specifically looking to replace so I can tell you what options you have?

Yeah, I probably should have been more specific, sorry!

So I want a music player similar to the one on Windows. I did look up Clementine so I will try that first.

I wasn’t fully aware I could run OBS or Openshot on Linux, so that is good news because I use both!

What would you all recommend for Word replacement?

I understand the challenges in switching operating systems. Apart from Clementine for your music, you can also try out Music Player Daemon (MPD). While VLC is available in open source, you can also check out MPV. Libre office is the best open source replacement for Microsoft office on Linux. You can also checkout 7Zip for archiving.

1 Like

If you are looking for a music player, you can take a look at AIMP. If you are looking for audio editing or recording app, you can take a look at Audocity.