Looking for a crypto wallet on Linux, whats the best option?

I started getting into crypto investing earlier this year and I recently switched to Linux away from Windows. I want to find the best wallet I can use on Linux now. I am just not sure what to go with. I would prefer something free as well. I know there are some paid ones out there. I have heard good things about Sparrow but also negative things. Not really sure what to go with at this point.

Is anyone here familiar enough to suggest the best option?

1 Like

Welcome to our tech community! :handshake:

Check out these Linux crypto wallet solutions:

3 Likes

Overall, I think Electrum is a good option simply because they don’t have any issues that many other wallets have on Linux. Those issues being vulnerability to malware, centralized validation for transactions, and issues with delays do to fees.

Sparrow is one I used before, I can’t remember why I moved away from them at the moment. It make have had to do with some of the concerns you mentioned.

2 Likes

You have to be aware of the phishing issues that come with this wallet. Because it is so popular, it is commonly targeted. I think it is an amazing wallet and I was using it prior to switching to Armory. For me, that was a better option. Has a better UI and features I have made use of.

1 Like

How does Knots compare to the standard Bitcoin wallet? I have not looked into it all that much. I want to get a desktop wallet going though. I didn’t want to invest more until I had something set up and secure.

I tried using https://electrum.org once. But it required a lot more than the 16GB of RAM to run because wallets like Electrum have the ability to operate as a full node. This means no trust in a third party is required when processing transactions. Full nodes provide a high level of security, but they require a large amount of memory!

Going to look into these as well as Electrum.

As you mentioned in the other reply, that one takes a lot of RAM. I am not sure if that would be an issue for me or not but I want something extremely secure.

If you want to get a better idea for each wallet, there are tons of tech guys on YouTube that review them. You can watch videos prior to setting one up so you don’t waste any time. You can actually see the UI for each one and learn about the features, if they have any worth mentioning. I always watch videos on things before downloading them. Sometimes reading is not enough to know if I will make use of a program, app, or software.

1 Like

In any case, thanks for using our forums to start your search. We are always happy to help out peers.

1 Like

Happy to be here and be a part of a growing community. If I have any more questions, I will be sure to post them on here. You have all been very helpful. I appreciate it.

I know that Exodus has a desktop app for Linux and I would highly recommend it because of it’s wide range of supported crypto. The wallet also has a built in exchange that allows you to seamlessly trade your crypto holdings.

Adding link https://www.exodus.com/