Bottles – Windows apps on Linux

I discovered bottles recently.

It allows you to run Windows apps under Linux. It’s essentially just a nice-looking WINE frontend with some extras but it’s super handy and looks great. Most apps I have tested have worked fine.

Have you used it?

1 Like

The Bottles name is quite clever; where do people store different types of wines? In bottles! :slight_smile:

When using Lutris it installs a different Wine version for every game (taking up a lot of disk space). Bottles instead creates configurable sandboxes, in which several apps can be launched which saves space.

That said, Lutris has the biggest community (much larger than bottles) and most frequent development.

This is cool! I tried wine back in the day. But this frontend looks amazing. I wonder if it works on Chromebooks… I might make the switch if it does. . .

While the Bottles offers easier setup than WINE with the settings already configured pre installation for popular apps, it still heavily depends on WINE. You need to update both Bottles and WINE for Bottles to work well. I could as well just use WINE and avoid multiplicity of apps.

Wine is not ideal solution. Some applications seems to work perfectly with Wine like Notepad ++. But if you try a big application like Windev to link with Windows CE or even running an application like Sage it doesn’t work. It needs to be runned on a virtual machine instead. It works for small applications.

Looks cool and promising. But as I can see, there are just a few applications yet. I think it is ideal for people who want to play games on Linux, but other people who work like designers or developers still need to use VMs.

It could be simple games as you know big games needs genymotion that is linux solution for emulate android games. As you know Bluestacks and Google Play Beta doesn’t has a release for Ubuntu yet. Even LDPlayer is not available for Linux. The games that you run with WINE are simple Windows games applications like mine or similar games not mobile applications which most of us focus on play on his PC.