Beginners help/guide for the terminal?

So I ended up installing Zorin OS. I have it all set up and I have just kind of been looking around. Now I need to figure out how to work the terminal. LOL

Is there a beginner’s guide or some kind of cheat sheet I can reference to learn the terminal code lines?

1 Like

Try this article:
https://medium.com/@grace.m.nolan/terminal-for-beginners-e492ba10902a

4 Likes

The OS doesn’t matter as much when it comes to the terminal. The codes will be slightly different but it mostly functions the same. That being said, I think you have been given two great options. I have shared the guide on Medium with a friend who said it helped a lot. I would make your own cheat sheet off of what the article explains.

1 Like

Once you have the basic commands down, it is fairly easy to learn. It is really a commonsense setup. A lot of people get intimidated by it because they are so used to Mac or Windows. I think you have been given some good resources but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

2 Likes

This is very true. I’m still very rusty with grep and outputting results :wink: need some practice

1 Like

Thanks for the article. It was a helpful start as was the video @penguinpie shared.

I think this will end up being a process. I feel like I will need to just learn the basics and remember them and for everything else, I guess just a quick Google search will suffice for me. It does seem a lot easier than I had originally thought which is good.

One thing that I would add is the importance of backing up important files before making changes in the terminal. Have you had any experiences where you accidentally deleted something important or made a mistake that caused issues? :frowning_face: