What option is most like Windows 10?

I want to move away from Windows. I was going to upgrade to Windows 11 but I am to a point where privacy means more to me and I want to get away from an OS that is known for collecting and selling data. There is only so much you can do to protect yourself on Windows.

That being said, I am used to working on Windows 10 and I do like it, minus the privacy issues. What options does Linux have that are a lot like Windows 10 in functionality and look?

Zorin.

It has a layout chooser that essentially allows you to emulate Windows 10 and Windows 11. It will look and feel like Windows is what I am saying. This is the one a lot of people who are moving away from Windows prefer.

4 Likes

Zorin OS will probably be at the top of most people’s recommendations and with good reason.

Another option would be Kubuntu. It is not a flashy distro and tends to come off a bit bland/plain but it functions amazingly well.

Then there is always Linux Mint which is what I started out with because I wanted more customization options and a sleeker look.

1 Like

agree with @glitch and @Cache on Zorin os, another one worth looking is elementary os, a replacement for windows/mac os.

2 Likes

I agree with the Zorin suggestion. They have improved their GUI and UX so much over the last couple of years! I wrote briefly about Zorin here as well:

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I am going to check on Zorin tonight and see if I can get it running. I will give it a few days to a week before I decide if I will stick with it or not. Based on what I have seen it does seem very similar which is what I was after.

While not completely like Windows 10, I would also suggest elementary os to you. It has intuitive gestures while the primary essence of it is on User Experience. It has a curated App Centre to help with compatibility and security of apps to be installed. Basic privacy tools are also a feature here. A very solid option for having that Windows feel.

@Don11 ElementaryOS was already suggested above.

Oh cool! I’m going to set this up on my laptop and overwrite Linux Mint, very cool!

Wait… you have to pay for it?? haha

Personally, I’m not a fan of ElementaryOS. In my previous post I was informing @Don11 that @pancake had already mentioned ElementaryOS in a post above his.

Personally, I prefer Pop!_OS over ElementaryOS.

That said, the website says, “Pay what you can”. So you can download for free by opting to pay $0:

Oh not elementary or pop, I was referring to Zorin :slight_smile:

The core and lite versions of Zorin are free: Download - Zorin OS

I must have misread it… Thank you sir

1 Like

I find the Cinnamon version of Linux Mint to be an excellent choice due to its remarkable similarity to the Windows operating system. The interface is user-friendly and customizable, allowing for an effortless transition from Windows to Linux. Additionally, the Cinnamon version offers a robust set of features and tools suitable for both novice and advanced users.

I think the biggest advantage for me is that it’s based on Debian.