What I need to learn to pursue a career in cybersecurity?

I am interested in pursuing cybersecurity as my career but I don’t really know what I need to know and learn. For those familiar with cybersecurity, where do I start?

Thanks for your time!

What I can advise is don’t start in security. Start with IT infrastructure or app development and then as your knowledge grows in how things work; you can then jump into security.

Depends on what path you want. Analyst, engineer, Admin, or architect.

Alot of people seem to like elastic SIEM for research, so learn that but you will need to understand network, software, antivirus/anti-malware, etc.

Here is a link that covers some stuff I mentioned.

1 Like

I am in the same boat, thinking of a career change myself. I started looking for volunteer opportunities online, https://www.hackersforchange.com/ to see as well as taking some introductory courses in security to get a sense of what they do but all is theory and not really practical experience. I also found this association htcia.org forensic security professionals to join and get more information in the field.

cheers!

1 Like

Hi Mouse,
I went for the certs Security + Certified Network Defender and Certified Ethical Hacker. I’ve also been in the computer industry since 2003. If your thinking about getting into Cybersecurity and have no IT experience at all you should start with the basics, Networking, Servers, being able to write scripts and databases. There’s also this site https://hackthissite.org/ to try your skills on.
Hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions so far, i am also taking the same step to dedicate a few years to studying cybersecurity. I think that I align more with becoming an analyst. I just do not know what the experience has been with those who took that direction.

I would to know both the complex aspect in terms of how demanding it is and how much programming and coding will be involved. I also used to hate math back in school but I ended up loving it at some point. Does it mean I have to ignite that passion again?

Lastly, I hope it is a rewarding career choice that will translate to me adding to my income portfolio in a short time.