Welcome! Please introduce yourself

I wound up here after seeing a post on Haker Net. I am an optical scientist, and I’ve been fascinated by computers since I was a kid playing with a teletype machine and its paper tape memory. Linux is a favorite of mine, but I’ve spent most of my time on Windows because that’s the system the applications I need run on. Along the way I’ve built databases, data acquisition systems, wrote scientific software, and administered Linux systems. I have little formal training, and I’ve learned mostly by reading, listening to mentors, and lots of experimentation. I’ve learned things after my short time at this site, and I’m looking forward to learning more.

6 Likes

Hey, Morgan here - I’m in South Africa.

Python developer turned jack of all trades, hosting open source things for customers, and helping people build software better. Has not compiled a kernel since warty.

7 Likes

Greetings from Australia! I work for a software company, as a Sales Engineer, and build a lot of demowear. Part of my job is to understand deployment options and infrastructure basics. I also run a home server, mostly as a pi.hole and container station, and this forum had been incredibly helpful for administration.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community a pleasure! It’s on my bucket list to someday attend the opening F1 race in Albert Park

1 Like

Just a quick check in from Manchester in the UK. I am a tech leader for an FMCG company and have been doing IT since I unboxed the first school computer, a Tandy TRS 80. Having had a headmaster who told me I should spend less time playing with computers and more time on my study, as I would never make a living out of it, I have spent 30 years proving him wrong. Not much in the IT space I have not done and I love fixing the thjings that people say are impossible.
Here on the endless journey of learning and to see if anything I have learned over they years is at all useful …

2 Likes

Welcome! It’s great to have you here. Looking forward to learning and sharing also.

Check out our Share your OS, Distro, Desktop setup - (screenshots, photos) thread.

Feel free to edit our wiki-post with any tools you recommend.

1 Like

Hi there . I am new here. I am full time system engineer. i manage enterprise datacenter system in real time. I like to play with server and storage and Virtual machines.

3 Likes

Hi @mehedi.hasan welcome to the tech community! Sounds like you will fit right in. Thanks for joining.

My name is Joseph Shanahan from Waterford, Ireland. I had a few lame starts with linux dating back to 1996. Actually I completed my unix assignment at uni on linux that year. But it wasn’t until about 6 years a go that I really got into it. It has been a gradual progression and I love firing up servers on Linode and getting things up and running. Of course these last 6 years I have been running nothing but linux on my desktop. What a joy to finally be free from Microsoft!!

4 Likes

Its great to have you here. I’m away just for a bit as a family member is unwell. But that’s why these forums are great. It’s not only my content or articles. Look around I should be on daily from next week. Welcome!

Hey Joseph. I made a decision back in 1993 or so (at the release of Windows 3.0) to never use Windows, and I have pretty much stuck with it. At the time I ran a NeXT Cube (which I still own), and after that I ran Linux desktops until I switched to Mac OS X for my desktop systems. I have never owned a Windows desktop PC, and other than having to use one for my brief stint of DoD work, my rule is still pretty much in place. I do occasionally have to access a Windows Server via RDC, but that’s only to run a browser in the data center to access a rack server BMC.

Welcome, I know you will love being MS-free!

1 Like

Howdy,
I am a long-time IT industry architect, primarily in the infrastructure/data center world. I was involved in the first “open systems” data center at EDS back in 1996. Back then we were supporting AIX, Solaris, SVR4 Unix, etc. Linux wasn’t really a thing yet. Name a physical platform or an OS and I have probably supported it at one point. These days, I am sales support for a Managed Services company.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @joetavares. :handshake:

…Tell me your age without telling me your age. :stuck_out_tongue: Nice introduction! It’s great to have your experience here!

1 Like

Hello all - I’m lex. Brand new to the scene as a participant - starting a career change from medical world to IT/Infosec.
I’ve been a lurker on a number of forums and subreddits, but just recently decided to make the jump.
The comradery and willingness to help has really made my decision an easy one to dive into head first.
Thank you for the hospitality!

3 Likes

Welcome, @lex. Lots of good people here.

Greetings from England,

I’m a regular obsessive software developer mainly focusing on “utility” software. Although I hope to get into game development. I have experiance with the Windows, Arch-Linux and Debian operating systems. I know CommonJS, ECMAScript, Python, HTML + CSS and I am currently learning Rust.

Hope everyone is well!

2 Likes

Thanks for joining us. Great to have you Dominic. I see you have already started adding useful info for all of us to bounce off of. :handshake:

1 Like

I have been working as a project coordinator and project manager since 2011 for various system integration projects. Since 2019, I have been playing around with Raspberry Pis as a hobby. Overclocking lead to ZRAM and it lead me to this site. Thanks for letting me join the community!

5 Likes

I appreciate you taking the time to join us. I started the blog around 2011, and the only thing missing was being able to interact with peers like you—honored to have you here! I hope these forums allow us all to connect and enjoy bidirectional communication. :handshake:

1 Like

Howdy Lex, welcome! Sorry I’m late :smiley: