Welcome! Please introduce yourself

New to the forum. Call me GJ. I have been using Linux off and on for many years, late 90’s. I have always been good at programming but got bored feeling no challenge while in college. Currently I have been using Arch Linux and have been looking for good sites to get more info on customizing and setting up. I have been using KDE Plasma but never really feeling it is for me and looking at Window Managers like XMonad. I finally found my challenge, learning Haskell! I look forward to learning and getting ideas from others and perhaps getting back into programming and sharing with the open source community.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums. I was chatting with a friend of mine recently. He’s also on Arch and KDE but has been learning a new WM, he says he is mainly interested in that WM because it’s written in Python, which he’s trying to learn.

Anyway, it’s cool to see similar minds work. Keep us posted on your setup. You can share hereL

…or even a new topic about the journey to your current Linux desktop setup.

1 Like

Namaste everyone.
Im Sonesh, from Mumbai India.
Im into It Since 18 years.
Worked in variuos industries as a IT support engineer.
Currently working in a small firm.
Recently i was stuck with some linux benchmarking.
While searching on google just came across the community. By the way im very new to linux.
All these years i was was busy with solving window’s problems.
Since my early years i was fascinated by linux and still facinated.
Kept learning step by step and still learning.

Thanks alot

1 Like

Windows will definitely keep you busy. I can never get over how sometimes the smallest weird issues can take so many hours to track down the cause. Welcome to the community. :handshake:

1 Like

Hey guys, I am 30 y.o. IT technician in telco company and I love computers, I have been wondering what type of system I should use since i was 14. So since then Im runnign both Linux / windows, and I love programming and doing kind of gaming comunity projects. And as I grow older I wondered how it will be to live with linux for full year. Anyhow my hobbies are computers, my son and family and also walks in nature and travel. Nice to meet you all.

1 Like

Hi @expancion, welcome to the forums! :handshake:

Let us know more about your desktops here: Share your OS, Distro, Desktop setup - (screenshots, photos)

Looking forward to chatting with you.

Hi, I am a concept generator, and looking forward to generate two programs maybe in python 1st a pro-active ip /server venerable ports monitoring system where I can monitor a specific IP and the services to prevent attacks from other systems or IPs and to backtrack these IPs. 2nd to develop a powerful facial recognition system with AI and ML based extra intelligent image enhancement mechanism to identify the correct person and the probability of identity authentication is more than 90%. I have some more features to enhance the engine in my mind which will be the second phase of it.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! :handshake:

Wonder IT kid turned neurosci, turned cogsci… what’s next? Who knows…

1 Like

I Am a 77 yr old Pensioner and the Internet and Operating systems.are my present hobby. I have been using Windows OS from win 95 right up to Windows 10. Nothing really changed besides the fact that my PC and Laptop did not belong to me although I purchased them. Microsoft had a hold on me and my equipment via their OS feeling like I am being blackmailed and of course the boredom with this run of the Mill OS.
I Discovered Ubuntu Linux on the Internet and installed it. Linux Mint, a very pleasant and encouraging OS. Presently running Mint 21.1 Vanessa. The last few Months since using Linux, my PC now belongs to me and no longer suffer the “Black Mail” syndrome.!
I Really enjoy Linux and I have been downloading different Distro’s which I am playing around on different HDD’s. Thanks for accepting me on this forum. I Am going to enjoy this.

1 Like

Welcome @zs5zk :handshake:t3:

Great to have you here! Saw this message just before bed but also looking forward to reading, learning and sharing with you.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Share your OS, Distro, Desktop setup - (screenshots, photos)

Hi :wave: I’m Pablo Hernandez
Family, Home & Healthcare Healer :hospital::pill::syringe:
FT auto didactic dev :minidisc::floppy_disk:
Python, AI, Data analytics.
I aspire to marry the arena of Radiology, Cardiology and Surgery with Python, AI and Data Science

3 Likes

Hi @Pabs_Devs_Code

Great to meet you! I really would like to learn Python.

This is very cool!

Hi, I go by CGL,
I have retired from the IC (Integrated Circuit) manufacturing world, 8 years ago. I have been curious about Linux and the distros before I retired but did not actively use any. But my old iMAC died, actually the Hard Drive, and Apple decided that the iMAC was too old for any of the newer OS releases. Linux Mint 21.1 is now running on the iMAC with an external HD. Someday, I will put a new HD inside the iMAC, but I’m just happy that I have a working system.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. :handshake:

That’s really interesting background. Thanks for sharing.

Hope to see you around

Hi zs5zk,
I am old pensioner also, and running Linux Mint 21.1 on an old iMAC. I just started yesterday.

3 Likes

Welcome so great to have you. Have a look around bump any threads that interest you.

I’m seeing a lot of Linux Mint users. Any reason why you started with Mint and why would you recommend it?

I have not tried mint in probably 8 to 10 years. I wonder how much it has evolved and matured.

Hi all, very glad to have found this place - seems very nice! I am a neuroscience student looking to learn more about how our brain performs computations :abacus: and how we can help people who are impaired using brain-computer interfaces :brain: . I enjoy programming, which I do mainly in Python, MATLAB, and R (but I would really like to learn C - anyone has any good resources in particular?).

I am a big proponent of open science and open source (shame that MATLAB is basically the standard in this field…) and I want to promote this as much I can. Personally, I run Fedora Linux on my daily driver laptop. I use it for aforementioned programming, emailing, reading papers, creating LaTeX documents, and also to simply play with interesting Linux stuff. Great to meet you all!

2 Likes

Welcome Andreas! :handshake: Great to have you here. Interesting background. Over my head but there are others here who are also programmers.

1 Like