Snaps: good or bad? Your take

I’ve been reading and hearing a lot of dislike for snaps. I’ve installed Ubuntu and anything I install from their software store uses snaps. Any GUI method to avoid snaps? For now, I have manually used apt install command line.

Why are snaps disliked so much? What are the pros and cons?

Here’s a personal example. Telegraf from influxdb is on snap, but something about that snap version doesn’t read metrics from docker, at least it didn’t for me. I had to add the influx repo and install telegraf that way.

That one bad experience turned me off from snaps.

I think people are accustomed to apt install and it’s used by most people :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys. I prefer apt and what I can’t find there, I usually will find and install using git. Feels unnecessarily complex for what it is. But that’s just me.

1 Like

I think snaps are good for IoT or appliances, but seem to have permission limitations for general desktop/server use.

I installed plex from the Software Centre and it turned out to be a snap, and wasn’t able to read external drives. I had to rather install the deb version and then it worked fine.

3 Likes

@morgs glad to hear I wasn’t the only one with issues from snap. :+1: If you’re using grafana with telegraf, you should get telegraf from influxdb, see my experience ^.

1 Like

Well the first thing I did after installing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was to completely remove snap. :neutral_face: Not proud of that approach, I don’t have anything against snap packages per say, I just like using apt still.

With systemd I was all in from the start, but something about Canonical having control of snap makes me more hesitant. In fact, when they had control of Unity DE, I left Ubuntu until they returned to letting Gnome or KDE handle the DE.

I don’t feel like I’m missing much by not using snap, yet. Which is the way I felt about the Unity desktop.

3 Likes

I also tried Crunchbang++ just now also.

I think instead of upgrading my main workstation to Ubuntu 22.04 I’m going to move to Debian 11. I’ve been away from Debian desktop for years now.

It seems more and more that only the original Independent distros like Arch, Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Gentoo, Void, etc seem for the most part stay clear of Snap being installed by default.

They are slow to start which is annoying. I have never been a fan of them and when possible I use Flatpaks over them. If you know how to do it, just uninstall them. I have done so on many distros. Ubuntu seems to be the one pushing them for the most part.

I can take them or leave them. I have used them and I have also gotten rid of them.

I think they are fine for what they are but as mentioned, they can be slow. Most people I know who use Ubuntu remove them.

Snaps are also notoriously slower. For example so many firefox posts online complaining about startup speed, switching tabs, and even closing the application. I’m still on 20.04 LTS but through discussion with everyone in the forums, will be moving to Debian testing by way of Kali in a few weeks.