Share your OS, Distro, Desktop setup - (screenshots, photos)

I use Debian for it’s stability. I started out using Linux when there was a Redhat 9, Went to Fedora when it switched to it and ran that until version 8. I got tired of reinstalling all the time due to bugs and incompatibilities (can anyone say Nvidia is a downright pain, I thought you could :wink: ) and tried Debian. That was about Debian 6 (I think) and been there ever since. I’ve also tried Free BSD, Solairs 8(pronounced SLOOOWWAIRUS) Kali Linux, Linux Mint CentOS (Pity that project died) and Gentoo (never again, just YUCK ).
Here’s what Neofetch shows on the current machine:

and Here’s my Gnome Flashback Desktop:

EDIT: I forgot to mention I read your posts and checked out the UBB site, I know know what LinuxQuestions.org uses for their site :grin:

2 Likes

Edit: Your post was so good that I’ve decided to turn it into this new thread for others to share. We can all gain inspiration from each other.

Lovely! Our desktop history is somewhat similar.

Distros used longer than six months:

My setup:

Desktop:

Haha yes, indeed have been on LQ since 2012.

Any love for windows? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

my arch
hello from Ukraine! :wink:

1 Like

Hey Funtik, welcome to our community. I really hope that things go back to normal for you guys soon. We’d love to hear a bit more about you. If you have the time or desire to, you can tell us a bit more about you here.

Very clean desktop setup! Gnome has really been so smooth with workflows and customization. Arch, goes without words. Can only imagine how your system flies! :bullettrain_side:

That’s a cool Background For Windows, are you on 11 or 10 and did you make that? as far as love for Windows… well take a peek at my desktop above :wink:

2 Likes

Windows 10. I feel the :fire: LOL

Obviously I’m a NASA fan too – forgot to put that in my intro post.

Here we see two of my Synology units – DS1618+ on top (backup unit), and DS1821+ (primary unit). Just this week I upgraded from the 1618 (was primary, now backup) to the 1821 (new primary) because my DS415+ (old backup) died last week.

We also see my 2019 iMac, and to the left of that is a 27" display connected to my 2018 MacBook Pro (work unit). I run Barrier (replaced Synergy) so that I can use my iMac’s keyboard & mouse on the work laptop, treating the two systems as one. I tried using Duet but it didn’t work for me.

3 Likes

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Also, your introduction post really gave a nice picture of some of your experiences and interest. Your wall and desktop backgrounds made me head over to NASA’s launch schedule page.

I don’t want to go off-topic for too long, but I thought I’d mention that I’m such a NASA fan because I grew up in the Cape Canaveral area, and it just stuck with me. My father and both of my paternal grandparents worked for IBM’s Federal Systems Division as contractors for NASA, so I cannot even begin to count the number of Shuttle launches I saw in person or the number of times I was onsite. I was onsite for STS-1, and I really hate that I didn’t drive down for the final launch a few years back. Apollo was still going after I was born, but we moved to Florida in 1976 so I only saw those launches on TV.

The mission patches you see in that pic were given by IBM to my grandfather for his participation in the Apollo and Shuttle projects. As a family we have 2 such complete sets, and my sister has the other one.

2 Likes

I love this background…where did you find it? I have one I use too.

1 Like

I use https://wallhaven.cc/ to find most wallpapers.

https://wallpapersafari.com/ is good too :heart_eyes:

I actually look around. Like using some pictures, and some of the “anti-windows” wallpapers that I have seen.

Is my personal favorite :grin:

I like it…gonna steal it too…

Here’s my desktop. It’s completely empty. So here’s the wallpaper. Its perfect in the day and night time on the eyes. It’s the light from a full moon. Not my wallpaper found it online years ago.

1 Like

I recently switched to Windows 10 to try out the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Not only are you able to use terminal, but you can open Wayland and x11 apps natively in Windows. For example, I use the Remmina app within windows.

Also, see: Windows Subsystem for Linux Documentation | Microsoft Learn

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re upbeat about the system. Good news. I’m using windows 10 and often hating it. Like hours spent today with Registry Editor. Microsoft disappoints in so many ways. I so badly wanted diff and grep [1]. Your posting this is tempting me to look into it. Before I burn time on it, I’m curious to know if I can do a core Debian install? Also, since WSL is MSFT, I assume it uninstalls well. Can you confirm by any chance (yeah, I know you’re using it. :slight_smile: )? Oh, almost forgot, have you accessed the windows file system?

1. Yeah, there’s MSYS and similar, but I prefer the isolation in WSL.