Quick Tips for a more stable Arch Linux experience

Originally published at: Quick Tips for a more stable Arch Linux experience

We have revised and updated this article to ensure its relevance and accuracy in 2024. This updated guide is tailored to help you harness a most stable Arch Linux experience. The existence of this article does not indicate that Arch Linux is unstable. It’s not, far from it. But for new users, there are certain…

1 Like

I keep being put off by the lengthy set up time with Arch. The stability issues were never a major hindrance for me but I like knowing there is a solution. Would you happen to have a guide on setting up Arch to make it less time consuming?

1 Like

Hi Rexx. Thanks for asking! Yes, you can use the Archinstaller. GitHub - archlinux/archinstall: Arch Linux installer - guided, templates etc.

Here’s a great video guide:

2 Likes

Hello, some updates and corrections

i686/x86-64 general-purpose GNU/Linux

It is x86_64 only since late 2017

Install Skype with pacman -S skype

This has never been a valid command, skype has never been in the official repository and pacman don’t deal with AUR pkgbuilds

The skype pkgbuild no longer exist, there is skypeforlinux-stable-bin now AUR (en) - skypeforlinux-stable-bin

@FabioLolix Thanks so much! This article was first published on November 19th, 2014, so I really appreciate this type of feedback to keep the advice current.

Note Skype used to be in the multilib repo.

So it used to be that you just allowed the multilib repo by uncommenting it:

sudo vi /etc/pacman.conf

Then just update pacman

sudo pacman -Syu

and install Skype

sudo pacman -S skype

Making those updates to the article now.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! :handshake: