Open Source Options For Content Creators

This is something I have been wondering about and thinking “why has no one done this yet?”. Is it because it is too hard of a task or doesn’t provide any real solutions? I am not sure.

I just look at places like YouTube where growing as a content creator is getting harder and harder and it seems fair to say we need some sort of open source option now. I guess it would be something like Patreon but it would be a software packet your download and upload through to different networks so you have some sort of connection between you and the people who digest your content.

Does something like this exist? Is anyone looking to create it?

1 Like

Are you talking about something similar to Mastodon? As far as I know, there is nothing else like this and certainly not for video creators. It costs a lot of money to hose video on a platform, it is inanely expensive. I guess if there was something like Mastodon where people can host their own videos on some sort of blockchain network, it could work. I don’t know of anyone working on something like this though.

1 Like

Are you familiar with Minds?

I believe the team behind that platform is trying to structure something for this as a means to protect content creators from being kicked off platforms since it seems to be a common occurrence these days.

1 Like

Yes, in a way. I just feel like this push for centralization is hurting online creators as a whole and it seems unreal. Now they will have to be competing with AI in terms of written work and art. Platforms like YouTube continue to bring out more rules that makes it harder for people to grow a brand for themselves as well.

1 Like

I have heard of Minds but never actually looked into it. I remember reading about it when I was looking for social platforms that are growing and I remember this one being for creative types and they pay people using crypto or something. I never actually went on the site or signed up.

This sounds interesting though. I will have to look into this more. Do you know who is in charge of this project by chance?

1 Like

I know someone that was making a living on YouTube but since 2016, everything declined. He ended up having to find work and completely quit his channel. I hear about it happening more and more. The ads aren’t paying and YouTube seems to be fine with it so long as they can bring down monetization, more money for them.

A lot of people are concerned more than ever over a centralized internet. The beauty of it in the first place is the freedom. You take that away, it will just be another controlled space used against people.

1 Like

Bill Ottman is the founder and John Ottman and Mark Hardingis are co-founder and chairman/CTO.

I am not entirely sure who is working on the project. If it is all of them or one of them and a team.

1 Like

Ah, okay. I am familiar with both Bill and John but I don’t know much if anything about Mark Hardingis. I have heard the name before.

I would be all for supporting this just for the simple fact that Google and other tech giants seem to want to lock the internet down.

1 Like

That is what we keep having to push for. These big tech companies have too much power and say as it is in our day to day lives. I am always trying to get people away from them, especially Google.

1 Like