Nobara Linux - A distro for gamers?

Have you heard of this one?

A major concern with moving away from Windows for PC gamers has been the lack of a gaming set up integrated right into the system. What Nobara is promising to do is offer a distro designed just for gamers with tweaks to Fedora. They have included add-ons and customization to avoid all the hassle of needing to figure out how to which games and with what programs.

Apparently, it was fully picked apart and put back together specifically to target a gamer’s needs.

I have not tried it myself but I am going to have to in the future considering I still need to dual boot on Windows for some of my games, something I want to avoid.

https://nobaraproject.org/

1 Like

I have, yes.

It seems to benefit people who mostly play on Steam which is fine and all but for someone like me, I play on multiple launchers. A lot of games I previously played on Steam no longer work on Linux. Is this meant to fix this? I mean one example is Rocket League which said it no longer supports Linux crossplay.

2 Likes

I noticed something in the fine print which made me change my mind on downloading it. Maybe I am just being too overly cautious? I never seen it worded this way for other distros.

By downloading, installing, and using this distribution, you agree that Nobara, Fedora, Red Hat, RPMFusion, and COPR related developers are -NOT- responsible for any kind of damages, data loss, or theft incurred during usage of this distribution, and you will not attempt to pursue any legal actions against any of these parties or individuals related to these parties.

2 Likes

I know this sounds off-putting but GloriousEggroll himself built this. He works for Red Hat. The odds of this being malicious are slim to none. I just want to state this because I know a lot of people don’t consider looking this deep into who builds what. You shouldn’t have to worry about these things anymore than you would other custom distros.

2 Likes

I have heard about this and saw some people were concerned but like @TechGuyBryan mentioned, it is made by a Red Hat dev. He is not going to risk his credibility just to scam people though a distro. No way.

I think it was just worded poorly when you compare it to other distros user agreements.

1 Like

Interpret that as debians message on boot or the MIT license. All it means is that any damage caused by incorrectly changed configuration or software is not the authors fault so you can’tgo sueing them. In short, it’s financial protection.

This is because software cannot be tested on every combination of hardware so there’s no guarantee that you won’t brick your machine.

3 Likes

This makes 100% sense to me. They need to protect themselves from people using it in a way that it was not intended. I think it is smart to do this and most people do these days, especially if they offer something for free.

Okay, I guess I was being overly paranoid about the whole thing. This is all good to know.

Outside of that concern I had, I feel the distro is a step in the right direction but still highly limited. As @keenbot mentioned, it is very much in favor of people who play mostly on Steam. It seems to run smooth and I like what the creator did with it but I would need something more diverse in the realm of gaming considering I don’t play everything on or through Steam anymore.

3 Likes

I was looking into this a bit more since posting this.

Is it true that they have SELinux disabled out the gate? If so, why would this be the case? It seems rather risky to disable a security setting.

Most if not all server based distros will have this enabled but since this is just a gaming distro, it is not needed. I even disable it on my servers and have no issues.

This is very promising. A project by Thomas Crider who is a Red Hat software maintenance engineer.

A good summary video here:

With the cost of GPU plummeting recently a powerful Linux gaming machine is now probably cheaper or at least comparable to the current PS5 pricing.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. He summed it up well. I was reading through the comments and a lot of people are impressed by it and gave feedback.

After looking into it more and trying it myself over the weekend, I am impressed. Is it something I will use? Ehh, maybe. I have to play with it more. I think it is a step in the right direction though.

1 Like

What I love about using Nobara for gaming is that the user won’t need to do much in terms of configuration because it comes preconfigured with settings and drivers alongside specific software that would give a typically good gaming performance. The only challenge is that it still doesn’t run all the games. Some games don’t have compatibility with it.