How to Secure Your Linux Server from Emerging Cybersecurity Threats

Originally published at: How to Secure Your Linux Server from Emerging Cyber Attacks

Linux is a powerful and widely used operating system known for its stability, flexibility, and security. However, as with any technology, Linux servers are vulnerable to cyber attacks, and it is essential to take steps to secure them against emerging threats. In this post, we will discuss some essential steps that can be taken to…

I am guilty of putting off updates and I really shouldn’t. I always make sure to use and make use of safety nets like 2FA and using long password strings but I know not updating on time is a risk. I have to get better at that and not put it off so often.

Something you should never risk is security on your server. It doesn’t matter if it is Linux or not! I am always preaching this to people I work with. Even my boss is guilty of disregarding things.

This is a great and handy guide, especially for beginners. Thank you for including different commands per distro as well.

sudo do-release-upgrade

Never Heard of that method, I always use apt-get dist-upgrade to do that. But I also run testing so when testing becomes stable and the new testing comes out I get moved to that.

1 Like

It’s pretty useful. The do-release-upgrade command performs the following steps:

1. Checks the current release of Ubuntu and determines if a new release is available.
  2. If a new release is available, it downloads the necessary files for the upgrade.
  3. It prompts the user to confirm that they want to proceed with the upgrade.
  4. It begins the upgrade process, which involves installing the new release packages and updating the system configuration.
  5. Finally, it reboots the system to complete the upgrade process.

During the upgrade process, do-release-upgrade will also provide information about configuration changes that may be required or any packages that may be removed or installed as part of the upgrade.

1 Like

okay got it

Regards,
Tech girl

1 Like