Have you bought anything from System76?

I have been wanting to move away from Windows but I am in need of a new laptop.

Instead of buying one which would almost certainly have Windows 11, I am considering going with System76’s Oryx Pro laptop. I just have no experience with this brand other than people recommending their builds in passing. I don’t know much about the laptop though as I have not found anyone who actually owns one. I don’t know if it is out yet or just out of stock either.

Has anyone here purchased something from them? Is it worth the price tag?

I was going to at one point.

But once I saw the Framework laptop I knew that would be my next laptop. You can purchase the FW laptop for about $300 less than the similar S76.

Framework is a game changer. So I suspect as they gobble up more of market, the pricing of other niche laptops will come down as well if they want to compete.

1 Like

Framework is cool, and a friend has one of those laptops and he loves it. I will definitely consider one if I ever tire of macOS and my M1 MacBook Air. (I joined the Mac fold in 2001 after I discovered that Mac OS X was basically just NeXTSTEP, as I was and continue to be a huge NeXT fan.)

2 Likes

They do amazing work but you are paying a premium for it. I don’t own any of their systems but I helped a friend set one up. They are really solid and I plan to get the Thelio desktop later this year.

1 Like

Yes, I did. I had issues with it. I won’t go into full detail (it would take a lot of explaining) but they were good about things and refunded me when I sent the machine back. I think I received one of the builds that had a faulty power supply in it.

1 Like

I have wanted to but the price is what has kept me from buying anything. I think the builds are great and they did corner a new market but I feel like you get more for your money just getting a different system (or building on yourself) and just removing Windows.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I am going to keep this in mind and hold off on buying anything right away. Based on everything said here and what I said, they make amazing systems but they tend to be overpriced for what you are getting. I guess this is fine because they take out a lot of the setup work for people who don’t know how to do it or don’t want to when it comes to Linux but I don’t think that justifies the extra cost when comparing other computers and latops.

I think you’re also paying for the flexibility, something you don’t get with typical systems.

2 Likes

While I agree that System76 laptops are not bad, personally, I’m considering the Purism Libre-14 for my next purchase due to its quality hardware and no-frills approach.

2 Likes