Fedora or Ubuntu (for gaming)

So I am new to Linux and I am wondering whether or not I should switch my distro already.

I am running Fedora right now but a few people on another site were saying Ubuntu was better for gaming. When I did a search on the topic, I read the opposite was true. Now I am just confused.

1 Like

As far as I know, Steam only supports Ubuntu which is likely why people were recommending it. They did some changes last year however so there are certain games that no longer run at all on Linux in general, one of the bigger (more popular) games being Rocket League.

2 Likes

Yes. Steam works on both. However, due to the wider adoption of Ubuntu, I’ve found it to be less buggy with Steam. Also, have a look at the Ubuntu-based POP!_OS distro. (Full disclosure, that’s my current distro. :smile:

2 Likes

Overall Ubuntu is better for gaming. I run Lutris on mine and it has been doing just fine. I am having issues with my screen resolution though. Joined here to see if I can sort that out with a different distro since I am not gaming nearly as much these days.

1 Like

Okay, so both are about the same but one is slightly better then?

I guess I will have to decide if I want to switch or not. I am not sure if I can really be bothered. It seems like the games I tend to play on Steam won’t be supported with Linux right now anyway. I may need to go back to ROMs and other means of gaming.