Does Linux have separate drives like Windows?

I have 3 different drives and I am able to use them all on Windows. I have them for different things (work, media, gaming) and I heard/read that Linux doesn’t support separate drives the same way as Windows. Is this true?

You can mount a drive, and use it as normal.
See link below:

https://www.simplified.guide/linux/disk-mount

Here is a good comparison for windows vs Linux

And

2 Likes

You have different options here for sure. You don’t have to worry about this these days. I know it was an issue back in the day on Linux but you can easily manage them on your system under Linux.

1 Like

Yep. Back in the day, it kind of sucked but now things auto mount as well

Thanks, Ben, going to look over what you posted there. I just had to make sure.

I was reading a few conflicting things but it seems they must be dated articles and posts on Reddit as I am now seeing more information about this being a non-issue these days.

1 Like

My pleasure friend :+1:

1 Like

@Falkon you can easily check this by

$df -ah

and this will list all the drives. If you are working on a mounted drive network cluster then do this

for i in $(find .  -d "dirname"); do echo df -ah $i; done

so basically you are finding the drives and then estimating the size proportions. If you want to do this in the nushell rust based then let me know.

alles gut,
Gaurav

To split your drive into multiple drivers you need to do it carefully. If I understand the question you may have a disk /dev/sta/ having 1 terabytes but you need to split to /dev/sta and /dev/stb 500 gygabytes each. You need to use fdisk to create new partition from existing one on ubuntu system. You run following command:
fdisk /dev/sta
Select g option then option w.

@saoussen5765 you dont need a separate drivers for the same. If you have the RAD50 enabled, you just need one the $sudo fdisk to check the drive. Yes if you are mounting for the Nagios then you then you have to use the ldap and then mount the same. There is a big difference between the same. your drive will shown as the last mount drive.

If you want your drive to be a bootable partition then

$sudo /etc/fstab address /mount/ 

alles gute,
Gaurav

1 Like

LVM ALL THE THINGS! Learn LVM, its pretty rad to do partitioning

… or ZFS, which is a more modern way of partitioning.

ZFS is a debian library. However, it is developped later for Ubuntu users. Means you may find more tutorials if you are almalinux or rocky linux as under development for Ubuntu and apt get repositories users. But it doesn’t prevent use it if you are a Ubuntu user. As it was in yum repository first of all.