Could an older laptop handle Fedora 34 (Cinnamon)?

Okay, so I have a question. I have an older laptop. I would have to check the specs online if I can remember the model. I got it back in 2013 I believe. So it is probably 10 years old, if not older at this point. I would like to get Windows 8 off it and run Linux on it and use it as a backup. I have Fedora 34 on my main PC right now and would love it if I could get it running on this laptop. I am just not sure it could handle it. Is it even worth trying?

I would have to know the specs to know for certain.

MX Linux running XFCE would probably be your best bet. As I said I would have to know the specs on the laptop to know if it could handle Fedora.

1 Like

You mentioned it being 10 years old. If you got it in 2013, there is a chance it was a model from 2010 to 2011 even. I don’t think it would be able to run it. Not from what I know of laptops from back then.

1 Like

Very unlikely. Maybe an older version but you would be splitting hairs. I agree with glitch on this. You would probably want to try MX (running XFCE) since it is a lighter-weight OS and less demanding.

1 Like

Yeah sorry, I don’t know the specific specs of it. I would have to look it up.

I appreciate your replies and giving me an alternative. I will see if works with XFCE on MX. I would hate to waste time with distros that are very unlikely to work. Especially because I want to be able to make use of the laptop on the go.