Choosing Linux Terminal Emulators - Discussion and List

Ahh I understand your original post now. Thanks @saoussen5765

1 Like

Windows Powershell LOL. JK. I love terminator

Personally I like Mate-Terminal. It runs on every flavor of Linux
and has the options I want like definable backspace key and
with a click go from 24x80 to 24x132 nice for watching updates.

Hi @KenUnix Welcome to the forums!
Are you using Mate desktop also?

I have used GNOME, MATE and XFCE.
Mate-Terminal will work under all of them.

1 Like

I have Gmone on a desktop pc. Will check it out.

hydn,

Let me know how it works out for you.

1 Like

I’m comfortable with the Mac built-in terminal – nothing fancy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. :handshake:

1 Like

I use a customized version of Terminator that meets my requirements. I pay more attention to choosing the shell than the emulator.

1 Like

Great question. Your post is now a Wiki-post. Communiy members can add/edit.

Windows Powershell is a Windows Terminal Emulator. So either you have windows installed or you run with Virtual Box. They have introduced recently a version for Ubuntu users or to Almalinux users. It is like using LibreOffice on Windows but it is more intended to Ubuntu users.

2 Likes

I can also recommend Cmder Console Emulator for Windows users who want the same experience as Linux. You can use most Linux shell commands like ls and pwd with that emulator on Windows.

Truth be told, I cannot use Windows terminal or Powershell after discovering this emulator.

1 Like

Just I want to ask you something. Does this Cmder Console Emulator replaces the sub system Ubuntu on Windows fully or doesn’t relate? Because this doesn’t work for all Windows releases and therefore you are obliged to go for dual boot option if this doesn’t work? Or it is just an emulator like Windows Powershell and doesn’t refer to the point that I have mentionned? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Thanks for the question @saoussen5765,

Cmder is just a Windows console emulator as a replacement for Powershell and Cmd. It basically turns your Linux-like commands to the Windows commands.

For example, if you want to list files on the cmd, you need to use the dir command, but with Cmder, you can use ls -la just like Linux.

And it is not related to WSL. If you want to use any Linux distro on WSL, the emulator doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Look like I’m also missing: https://st.suckless.org/ in our terminal Wiki post. Will add.

There is now a linux version of Warp!

1 Like

Thanks! Will give it a try. :handshake:

Right. I use it at work sometimes but typically terminator is my go-to

I have googled it. I think from the introduction it is gnome terminal or one production of ti.

You may talk about another terminal so you could enlight us if I am wrong or you are using this version of terminal?