Broadcom to Acquire VMware

I just received this email notice five mins ago from Broadcom. :eyes:

Any thoughts?

May 26, 2022

We’re reaching out today with an update on Broadcom’s strategy to build the world’s leading infrastructure technology company. We just announced that Broadcom has entered into an agreement to acquire VMware, a leading innovator in enterprise software that pioneered virtualization technology. This transaction will add significant scale to our software business and continues our track record of acquiring established, mission-critical platforms.

VMware has long been recognized for its enterprise software leadership, and through this transaction we will provide customers worldwide with the next generation of infrastructure software. Given that VMware’s platform and Broadcom’s infrastructure software solutions address different but important enterprise needs, the combined company will be able to meet your needs even more effectively and securely, with greater choice and flexibility to build, run, manage, connect and protect applications at scale, across diversified, distributed environments, regardless of where they run: from the data center, to any cloud and to edge-computing.

Following the closing of the transaction, the Broadcom Software Group will rebrand and operate our existing infrastructure and security software solutions as VMware, a testament to our excitement around what the future holds. Importantly, with our shared engineering-first, innovation-centric cultures, R&D will remain central to everything we do, and we look forward to continuing to innovate as your trusted partner.

Until we complete the transaction, which we expect to happen in Broadcom’s fiscal year 2023, Broadcom and VMware will continue operating independently. Your day-to-day contacts will remain the same, and we will continue to provide you with the excellent service and innovative offerings that you have come to expect from us. In short, it is business as usual, and we expect this to be a seamless transition from your perspective.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your Broadcom sales contact. In the meantime, we hope you share our enthusiasm for what’s ahead as we reimagine what we can deliver to customers as a leading infrastructure technology company. We thank you for your support and look forward to continuing our relationship with you.

Regards,

Hock Tan
President and Chief Executive Officer, Broadcom Inc.

Tom Krause
President, Broadcom Software Group, Broadcom Inc.

Edit: Found a news article Chipmaker Broadcom to buy VMware in $61 bln deal | Reuters

2 Likes

Funny I install vmware last week and tested so many distros really fast! Not sure how I feel about the acquisition, hope the don’t change too much.

1 Like

No way broadcom will screw up VMware, right? :grimacing:

1 Like

What have they screwed up in the past?

Symantec and CA Nimsoft are good examples.

Ah fair enough. Good thing proxmox is still exists. :+1:

2 Likes

Wonder if Broadcom is going to move VMware from Utah? I know once upon a time it was part of a company that was based in Draper, Utah (I forget the name)
And Symantic was messed up before Broadcom bought them, hence the nickname “Norton Extra-virus”

2 Likes

I really wonder what direction R&D and general technological developments will be taken with this acquisition. Seems exciting, and potentially opportunity-in-waiting further down the road, for more collaboration and development efforts among other things :+1:

2 Likes