Best Linux programs/software for video editing?

I have been making use of GIMP, OpenShot, and OBS but I want some more options. I am starting up a channel as a side hobby to see how things go over on Rumble. I know it is mostly political nonsense on there but from what I have read, their investments are going up and I expect other types of content to start ending up there. I want to make sure my videos are good enough in 2022 but I don’t want to buy expensive software for a hobby project.

What are the best options?

OpenShot is good but I think the best all-around is Kdenlive. It is competitive with even the popular paid options. It has a lot of features that could be useful for you since you are at a beginner level (I am assuming).

1 Like

There are so many, it really depends on what you want in particular. I only have experience using OpenShot and Shotcut. If you haven’t checked out Shotcut, give that one a go. It is similar to OpenShot but easier to use in many ways. You might save some time.

1 Like

What aspect of video editing do you use GIMP for? I thought that was just like a stripped down variation/alternative to Photoshop. Am I missing something?

I should have specified a bit more. GIMP is primarily used for overlays and graphics. I use it to make custom font as well as watermarks when needed.

1 Like

Kdenlive, Shotcut, Lightworks Free, Flowblade, VidCutter and if you can get accustomed to using it, - Blender. Most people default to OpenShot or Kdenlive when it comes to hobby/beginner level editing because they have the basics you need to make a good looking video.

I have heard this is a decent one but the paid version has way more options. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Last I remember, they had a watermark for the free version that goes on all the videos. Maybe that was changed? I remember people complaining about it.